Developments in healthcare go hand-in-hand with emerging technology. Artificial intelligence (AI) has opened up vast areas of potential for healthcare—namely, artificial intelligence predictive analytics in healthcare. AI is already having a positive impact, with AI-aided devices leading the way to empower patients and physicians alike.
Predictive analytics facilitated by AI through wearable devices has helped implement this technology for at-risk patients. The result has been dramatically improving the level of care, having greater accuracy, addressing developing health issues in real time, and generating analytics that can help make smarter business decisions. Technologies such as continuous remote patient monitoring (CRPM) are supplanting traditional methodologies in healthcare prediction due in part to AI’s rapid developments, creating a new paradigm for healthcare that has never been seen before.
In this article, we explore the particular benefits of artificial intelligence predictive analytics in healthcare, highlight use cases in various medical applications, and show how the Oxitone 1000M is revolutionizing the future of healthcare.
The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence and Predictive Analytics in Healthcare
Artificial intelligence and the predictive analytics that it can provide are giving physicians the insights and capabilities to enhance healthcare delivery. AI-aided devices give both physicians and patients the following benefits.
Predict Exacerbations in Chronic Diseases for Long-Term Care
Due to the nature of chronic illnesses, preventative and predictive healthcare requires accurate information in real time while under professional supervision and at home. AI’s processing algorithms enable early recognition of critical health factors, signifying appropriate interventions at the right time. Being able to detect the early signs of patient deterioration in the ICU and general ward more efficiently through AI is possible, and this functionality also helps identify at-risk patients with chronic diseases in their homes.
Drastically Improve Patient Compliance
Patient compliance is a significant issue for delivering accurate and effective care for chronic disease. Improper usage of wearable medical devices affects datasets, which subsequently, influences care delivery.
AI helps mitigate these problems and enables patients to attain better compliance through:
- More accurate measurements
- Alerts due to misread data or improper usage
- Automated software updates without patient intervention (e.g., prevent avoidable downtime of medical equipment in critical instances)
- Aggregated data from other chronic patients that presents a clearer picture of long-term care as this data is processed
- Creating a greater peace of mind for patients, knowing that their stress and anxiety is mitigated through CRPM
Improved Healthcare from Physicians
Physicians need precise data to accurately treat at-risk patients with chronic illnesses, while also reducing an over-reliance on direct care if unnecessary. Traditional digital healthcare methodologies have been partially complete or missing, potentially leading to lapses in care or misdiagnoses.
AI’s enhanced algorithms solve these problems efficiently, improving decision-making capabilities in healthcare by physicians to enable more efficient predictions and avoiding false positives. Physicians can deliver improved healthcare (without being bogged down by unnecessary patient visits), greater savings in healthcare for patients, and greater long-term results in patient quality-of-life.
Use Cases for Predictive Analytics
Artificial intelligence predictive analytics in healthcare is already a reality in modern healthcare environments. The following are specific cases that physicians are using.
- Responsive Capabilities for At-Risk Patients: According to a 2017 study conducted at the University of Pennsylvania, a predictive analytics tool used AI’s machine-learning capabilities and streamlined access to electronic health record data to identify patients twelve hours earlier for severe sepsis septic shock before the onset of the condition.
- Improvement on Existing Care Strategies: In 2016, a similar study at Huntsville Hospital in Alabama found a clear correlation between a reduction of sepsis mortality by more than half and AI’s reliance on clinical decision support tools supplemented with predictive analytics. In fact, the AI-driven results were so successful that they supplanted gold-standard tools.
- Tracking of Patient Compliance: A 2020 study was conducted to monitor participating patients’ adherence to self-administer HCV (Hepatitis C) treatments of fixed-dose ledipasvir and sofosbuvir. Over the course of six months, the AI-assisted platform deployed via smartphone apps resulted in a higher rate of patient compliance (>90%) versus non-participating patients (75%).
As you can see, AI is the future of modern healthcare. Physicians who adopt this technology can experience the benefits of providing better overall healthcare with greater efficacy.
Oxitone 1000M: Wearable AI for Optimized Healthcare
Today, there are many AI-assisted software on the market that harness the power of continual digital oversight, empowering physicians to create better outcomes for high-risk patients. However, implementation has been limited due to the stringent requirements of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA); official FDA clearance for wearable devices has been noticeably limited until today.
That’s where the Oxitone 1000M comes in. It is the first FDA-cleared device of its kind that is specifically designed to harness artificial intelligence predictive analytics in healthcare. It offers unparalleled continuous care for several high-risk diseases, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Designed to leverage AI to increase patient compliance, the Oxitone 1000M is a wearable medical device that facilitates seamless API/Bluetooth integration, providing unparalleled comfort through its elastic FlexSense™ optical aperture and offering one-click real-time clinical data access.
Furthermore, the Oxitone 1000M generates smart notifications that have five levels of verification before initiating an alert, never disturbing patients with false notifications. For these reasons and more, the Oxitone 1000M is revolutionizing healthcare and its treatment of high-risk patients suffering from COPD.
Here at Oxitone, we boost value-based healthcare by delivering extraordinary patient, clinical, and economical outcomes at reduced medical utilization and cost. Patients need a prompt response to emergencies. Physicians need an easy and timely follow-up with patients. Our mission is to transform chronic disease management and help save lives worldwide.
Let’s save lives together! To see how we help remote patient monitoring companies and physicians improve the management and care of high-risk patients, contact us today!